To view the Town Manager's State of the Town's Finances Presentation for the 2013 Annual Town Meeting click here
To review the Town Manager's budget documents for Fiscal Year 2014 click on the following links:
To view the Town Manager's budget presentation from January 8, 2013 click here
To review the Fall 2012 Town Meeting Warrant, Click Here.
For Information on the proposed projects for the Fire Station, Town Hall, Forbes Municipal Building and Recreation Center please click on the following links:
To review the Town Manager's budget documents for Fiscal Year 2013 click on the following links:
Section 4-1 Appointment, Qualifications, Term.
The Board of Selectmen shall appoint a Town Manager for a term not to exceed 3 years and shall fix his compensation within the amount appropriated by the town. The Town Manager shall be appointed solely on the basis of his executive and administrative qualifications. He shall be especially fitted by education, training and experience to perform the duties of the office.
The Town Manager need not be a resident of the Town or the Commonwealth at the time of his appointment but shall establish residence in the Town of Westborough or in a town contiguous to the Town of Westborough within 1 year following the date of appointment. Failure to establish such residence shall be deemed to be a resignation from the office of the Town Manager.
The Town Manager shall not have served as a member of the Board of Selectmen for the 18 months prior to his appointment. He shall be bonded by a surety company and the cost of the bond shall be borne by the town. He shall devote full time to the office and shall not hold any other public office, elective or appointive, nor engage in any other business or occupation during his term, unless such action is approved in advance in writing by the board of selectmen. The town may from time to time establish by bylaw such additional qualifications as it deems necessary and appropriate.
Section 4-2 Powers and Duties.
The Town Manager shall be the chief administrative officer of the Town and shall be responsible to the Board of Selectmen for the administration of all town affairs placed in his charge pursuant to the charter.
(a) The Town Manager shall appoint the following:-
(i) Town boards, commissions and committees and other town personnel for which section 5-2 of this charter has explicitly designated the Town Manager as the appointing authority;
(ii) Members of other town boards, commissions and committees and other personnel for which the Board of Selectmen, bylaws and Town Meeting have the Town Manager to act as appointing authority as long as that appointing authority does not conflict with this charter; and
(iii) Members of any advisory committee formed by the Town Manager as allowed in the town's organization plan, as described in section 5-2.
These appointments shall take effect 15 days after the day that notice of the appointment was filed with the Board of Selectmen unless the Board of Selectmen shall, within that period by a majority of all of its members, vote to reject the appointment.
(b) The Town Manager:
(1) Shall participate fully in the duties and obligations of the Town Manager as described in the town's organization plan described in section 5-2 of this charter;
(2) Shall direct and supervise the administration of all functions under his control;
(3) Shall administer the compensation and benefits of all town officers and employees appointed by him, within the limits established by appropriation and by bylaws as set by the salary administration plan;
(4) Shall attend all regular and special meetings of the Board of Selectmen, unless excused at his own request, and shall have a voice, but no vote, in all of its discussions;
(5) Shall attend all sessions of the open Town Meeting and answer all questions directed to him by the voters of the town which relate to his office;
(6) Shall see that all provisions of the General Laws, the charter vote of the
Town Meeting and vote of the Board of Selectmen which require enforcement by him or officers subject to his direction and supervision, are faithfully carried out;
(7) Shall prepare and submit both the annual budget and the capital improvement program as provided in article 6;
(8) Shall be responsible for the keeping complete records of the finances and administrative activities of the town and shall render a full report to the Board of Selectmen at the end of each fiscal year and otherwise as the board may require;
(9) Shall keep the Board of Selectmen informed as to the financial condition and needs of the town and shall make such recommendations to the Board of Selectmen as he deems necessary or expedient;
(10) Shall have full jurisdiction over the rental and use of all town facilities, except schools and libraries and lands held for conservation purposes and shall be responsible for the maintenance and repair of all town property, excluding school and library buildings, placed under his control by this charter or bylaws or statutes;
(11) Shall be responsible for the appointment, subject to the approval of the Board of Selectmen, of any necessary building and facilities committees relative to the preparation of plans and supervision of work on all construction, reconstruction, alterations, improvements and other undertakings authorized by the town, except schools and libraries;
(12) May inquire at any time into the conduct of office of any officer, employee, department, board or commission under his control;
(13) Shall keep a complete inventory of all property of the town, both real and personal, within his jurisdiction;
(14) Shall negotiate, purchase and service contracts involving any subject within his jurisdiction, but the proposed contracts shall be subject to final approval and execution by the Board of Selectmen;
(15) Shall purchase or acquire all equipment, supplies and services required by town agencies under his control and may make such purchases for agencies not under his control upon receipt of a proper requisition; and
(16) Shall perform any other duties required by the bylaws, votes of the Town Meeting or votes of the Board of Selectmen.
Section 4-3 Acting Town Manager (Temporary Absence).
By letter filed with the Town Clerk, the Town Manager shall designate a qualified town administrative officer or employee to perform the routine duties of the Town Manager during his temporary absence who shall have no appointive powers. During the Town Manager’s absence, the Board of Selectmen shall not revoke such designation until at least 15 days have elapsed, whereupon the board may appoint another qualified town administrative officer or employee to serve until the Town Manager return. If a letter has not been filed with the Town Clerk, the Board of Selectmen, by a majority vote, may appoint an Acting Town Manager to serve in the absence of the Town Manager for a period of 60 days with not more than 1 extension.
Section 4-4 Removal.
The Board of Selectmen may remove the Town Manager from office in accordance with the procedures described in this section.
The Board of Selectmen shall adopt a preliminary resolution of removal by the affirmative vote of a majority of all of its members, which shall state the reasons for removal. This preliminary resolution may suspend the Town Manager for a period not to exceed 45 days. A copy of the resolution shall be delivered to the Town Manager forthwith.
Within 5 days following delivery of the preliminary resolution, the Town Manager may request a public hearing by filing a written request therefor with the Board of Selectmen. The hearing shall be held at a meeting of the Board of Selectmen not later than 30 days after the request is filed nor earlier than 20 days. The Town Manager may file a written statement in justification of his time in office with the Board of Selectmen, provided that the statement is received in the Selectmen’s office more than 48 hours in advance of the public hearing.
The Board of Selectmen may adopt a final resolution of removal, which may be made effective immediately, by the affirmative vote of a majority of all of its members at any time after l0 days following the date of delivery of a copy of the preliminary resolution to the Town Manager if he has not requested a public hearing, or any time after the public hearing if he has requested one. Within 10 days following the board’s vote to make its resolution final but not later than 45 days after the date of adoption of the first resolution, the board shall, by majority vote of the full membership, either affirm or dismiss the final resolution of removal. Failure to affirm a final resolution of removal shall nullify the vote to dismiss the Town Manager. The Town Manager shall continue to receive his salary until the effective date of a final resolution
of removal. The action of the Board of Selectmen in suspending or removing the Town Manager shall be final.